Of the two new cameras the Nikon 1 J3 is the more advanced and boasts 14.2 effective mega pixels and a 920,000 pixel LCD screen. The new S1, on the other hand “only” has 10.1 mega pixels (effective) and a lower resolution LCD screen. Both cameras shoot 12-bit raw (compressed) and are compatible with Nikon 1 lenses.
Apart from lower weight and higher pixel count (14.2 instead of 10.1), an interesting improvement of the J3 over the J2 is the much faster shooting rate: 15fps with autofocus (!) at full resolution (30 and 60 FPS are available too, but then focus is locked on the first frame). Moreover, this same ultra fast frame rate is also available on the new S1!
Two new lenses also saw the light: the 1 NIKKOR 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6 VR all in one zoom lens and the 1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR wide angle zoom lens. Both these lenses have Vibration Reduction built in, allowing for steady shots, even at slower shutter speeds.
To top off the system, Nikon also introduces a new underwater housing for the J3 and S1. This WP-N2 Waterproof Housing, just like the WP-N1 for the J1 and J2 allows you to go as deep as 40 meters (130 feet).
Suggested Retail Prices:
- Nikon 1 J3 with 10-30mm lens: $599.95 (available in White, Black, Silver, Red, and Beige)
- Nikon 1 S1 with 11-27mm lens: $499.95 (available in White, Black, Red, Pink, and Khaki)
- 1 NIKKOR 10-100 f/4.0-5.6 VR: $549.95 (available in White, Black, Silver, Red, and Beige)
- 1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR: $499.95 (available in Black and Silver)
- WP-N2 Waterproof Housing: $732.96 (available in White)